Don’t get mad. I post lots of treats.
But I’ve been so good. I posted a recipe for pâté, and ate chunks of that bad boy all week! So here’s what I did last night, while goofing with the roommates. They drank wine (I’ll admit I enjoyed a damn fine rosé) and watched TV while I made this Grain-Free Cranberry Apple Cinnamon Smash. What’s a “smash”? Chunks of grain-free cake layered with cinnamon, apples, pecans and cranberries (otherwise known as all of the awesome holiday flavors that get their due this time of year). I think I just made up that definition of a smash, but who cares! It should have existed before, lucky thing I came along.
So bookmark this recipe for making during fireside weather in December, or whip it up now!
- 1 small apple, peeled
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup juice-sweetened dried cranberries
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease an 8x8" cake pan, and set aside.
- Combine all of the ingredients of the topping, and set aside also.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the coconut flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whip the ghee, honey, eggs and vanilla extract until very well combined. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry, mix well.
- Spoon half of the cake batter into the cake pan, then scatter half of the topping mixture over it. Then add the other half of the cake batter over the topping layer. Make sure to gently move the top layer of batter into the corners so it does not disturb the layer underneath too much.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until a taster inserted comes out clean. Let cool to room temperature, then roughly chop or crumble.
- Distribute among small serving bowl, top with the rest of the topping mix, and serve.
This post may contain affiliate links. Thanks for supporting Grok Grub.