Raw Hemp Algae Bars

YumRaw Hemp Algae Bars (grain/dairy/sugar free, paleo, vegan) | GrokGrub.comI made raw energy bars from algae and hemp. Like a good little hippie.

This is the first raw recipe I’ve ever posted to the blog, I think. It isn’t that I don’t eat raw foods regularly, but they’re mostly vegetables foraged hurriedly from the fridge: broccoli florets, rounds of zucchini, baby carrots by the bagful, dripping slices of heirloom tomato. These raw energy bars are something else entirely, of course, and a more satisfying snack. Sweet, with chewiness from the dates and coconut paired with the crunch of pistachios and pumpkin seeds, they’re a little bit crumbly. A little bit sticky.

I suppose I should say a word about the algae, right? Growing up, my mother always tried to sneak more algae into my meals: kelp dusted into stews, blue-green algae capsules in the mornings (she supplements the horses’ feed with it, too). So when I got the inspiration—if you can call it that—to make raw energy bars, and hit on the idea to make them green (my mind works in weird ways, okay?) then algae was the natural addition to achieve a truly unusual hue, plus bump up their nutritional profile significantly. The specific type I used is spirulina, a green-black algae in powder form. It’s an incredibly interesting ingredient with a Wikipedia page that’s a great read.

Spirulina was a food source for the Aztecs and other Mesoamericans until the 16th century; the harvest from Lake Texcoco and subsequent sale as cakes were described by one of Cortés’ soldiers. The Aztecs called it “techuitlatl”.

Raw Hemp Algae Bars (grain/dairy/sugar free, paleo, vegan) | GrokGrub.comIf you’re wondering, I purchased all of the ingredients for these at Whole Foods (even the hemp hearts!) so there’s a good chance you can source them at your local Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, Sprouts or Central Market.

Raw Hemp Algae Bars

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

This recipe consists mostly of tossing the ingredients into a food processor, then letting the bars set in the refrigerator. Increase the dates to a whole cup if you like your raw energy bars more sticky than crumbly!
Serves: 6
Ingredients
Instructions
  1. In a food processor, pulse the ingredients until the mixture is crumbly but beginning to come together.
  2. Press into an 8-inch square cake pan or glass dish.
  3. Chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour, then slice and serve.
Notes
Will keep for several days if refrigerated in an air-tight container.

This post may contain affiliate links. Thanks for supporting Grok Grub.

for recipes delivered straight to your inbox!

Comments

1. says

Hey, I wonder if these would be good for the horses. I would have to investigate the suitabliity of pistachios and pumpkin seeds. I assume these are roasted seeds? I don’t think one can get raw pumpkin seeds unless it’s out of a fresh pumpkin. Then I can eat them, too!

• Rachel says

Hmmm, pistachios might be an expensive proposition for the horses (making these in quantity). I suppose the pumpkin seeds were roasted, but they sure tasted raw. They’re the green kind, not the white kind like those that come out of a Halloween pumpkin!

2. says

I was just thinking about trying to come up with “green granola bar” recipe the other day…pistachios, pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, some kind of algae…crazy to see them here exactly as I imagined and so delicious looking.

3. JackieS! says

Pretty tasty! Similar to my homemade Lara bars. I made them with Chlorella instead of Spirulina. I’m wondering – has anyone tried them with cocoa added? I think that’d be a nice addition. Also, next time I make them, I’m going to add in Chia seeds as well.

• Rachel says

Cocoa is a great idea, I’ll admit I didn’t experiment with it because I wanted to keep the bright green color. 😛

• Rachel says

Misty, the advantage coconut oil lends is that it’s solid when chilled so it acts as a binder in addition to the stickiness of the dates. Without it, I’m not sure these would stay together.

I’m curious about being an oil-free vegan: what do you use to sauté vegetables? Or do you only steam, eat raw, etc?

4. Caprice says

I used dried apricots instead of dates (used what I had lying around) and they turned out great! I soaked the apricots in boiling water so they would process a bit easier, and drained the water before placing them in the processor. Thanks for the wonderfully easy and nutritious recipe!

Trackbacks

1. […] 21. Raw Hemp Algae Bars Don’t let the green color fool you, these also taste good in addition to being good for you. They contain pistachios, pumpkin seeds, coconut, orange juice, and help seeds, so you know you’re getting plenty of flavor along with the nutritional features of each of these items. The green color comes from the use of spirulina, which adds even more nutrients to the mix. These are raw, so they require no baking which means you mush all of the ingredients together into bar form, let them chill, and they’re ready to eat. […]

2. […] 21. Raw Hemp Algae Bars Don’t let the green color fool you, these also taste good in addition to being good for you. They contain pistachios, pumpkin seeds, coconut, orange juice, and help seeds, so you know you’re getting plenty of flavor along with the nutritional features of each of these items. The green color comes from the use of spirulina, which adds even more nutrients to the mix. These are raw, so they require no baking which means you mush all of the ingredients together into bar form, let them chill, and they’re ready to eat. […]